- 1 package (16 ounces) dried split peas
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked corned beef or ham
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Split Pea Soup
"Made exactly as listed and the flavor was fantastic! It was however, too thick for my liking, easy to correct. Definitely a keeper!"
"this was very good. must admit to not using a couple of spices (basil&marjoram). tasting the flavor along the way didn't think they were needed, somehow basil just didn't sound right to my taste buds, not saying it's wrong just didn't need to use.we are such fans of split pea soup."
"Yes, I can see why this is an award winning recipe. It was PHENOMENAL! The only change I made was I added some hickory smoked kielbasa. My 4 year old grand-daughter loved it also and asked for another bowl."
"Fantastic recipe! I used ham, added an extra carrot and am not a fan of sage, so I left that out. Followed the directions and the flavor was delicious."
"I have been using this recipe for over 10 yrs! Soooooo good!"
"WOW great flavor, when I was making this recipe and I just got it boiling the whole house smelled like sage and I thought Oh No this isn't going to be good but after letting simmer for 2 hours it turned out fine, actually really good there isn't an over powering sage flavor like the smell I got from cooking it, it has lost of flavor and isn't watery I will make this again, thanks for the recipe."