- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings. Saute celery and onion in drippings for 5 minutes. Add sausage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forHearty Minestrone Soup
"This had pretty good flavor even though I cheated and left out the sausage. I wanted a basic minestrone recipe to play with, so went to Taste of Home which never disappoints. Other changes besides leaving out the sausage: I added a can of light red kidney beans, did not use the celery, used two minced garlic cloves, threw in a handful of baby spinach leaves when it was almost done, and a cup of already-cooked tiny shell pasta. This recipe freezes very well. I portioned it into two-person servings and frozen it in quart zippered freezer bags which lay flat in your freezer."
"This is just so good it makes my heart smile. I used some chicken broth for some added liquid."
"5 stars!! make this a lot.."
"I would add less salt next time."
"I didn't have any green peppers, either, so I didn't use them. I added some lentils like the minestrone at the restaurant, so I needed more liquid and added 2 cans of condensed beef broth. This is very delicious!"
"I substituted diced carrots for green pepper because that was all I had on hand and this recipe was excellent. Loved it!"