Upstate Minestrone Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted or 3 beef bouillon cubes plus 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage in oil. Add the onion, carrots, garlic and basil; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, zucchini, broth, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add beans; cook 20 minutes longer. Garnish with parsley. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 196 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 1291mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 28, 2018
I make this all the time. I used italian turkey sausage (sweet). EXCELLENT soup. I use red cabbage.
Mar 10, 2016
The whole family loved this soup and they are not big soup fans. Next time I would leave out the salt since there's enough sodium in the other ingredients and let people add to their own taste. Very easy and a quick meal!
May 16, 2014
I am from upstate New York so I had to try this recipe. It is excellent. I have made it 4 times already. I vary it each time with different vegetables that I have on hand. I have used the fire roasted tomatoes and they were great in the soup. I freeze it and take it to work also.
Jan 13, 2014
Made some minor changes...used Italian turkey sausage (sweet), beans instead of zucchini because I had fresh green beans on hand. I did not add salt, but did add a dash of Tabasco to add a little zip. The soup was a big hit...will make it often!
Oct 27, 2013
Been making this recipe for about 10 years and it the most delicious soup. Whenever I make it for anyone they always exclaim about how good it is. I make it just as the recipe says but add a bit more cabbage as it cooks up and can hardly be seen. Also I add more garlic.
Sep 24, 2013
I haven't made this soup-sounds great but no nutrition information. I usually don't make any recipes unless I know the nutrient content. Possible to add nutrition information to all your recipes? Thanks
Sep 17, 2013
I have been making this soup since it was originally published, and have at least one container in the freezer at all times for quick suppers. I often add an extra can of beef broth and a pint size container of home frozen tomatoes and 2 cans of beans. Change ingredients to match your tastes. This soup is so delicious and a never fail to please meal.
Nov 14, 2012
We enjoyed this...very hearty and flavorful.
May 10, 2012
This is the best minestrone soup I've had. Kudos to you!! Living in the Pacific Northwest, it's chilly quite often, so I make a lot of soups. I will be making this often!
Dec 18, 2011
I had a soup and salad luneheon for my mother's 90th birthday. This recipe doubles nicely. My cousin made a roaster full! There were many compliements. Definately a keeper in this house!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.