- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, celery, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, mustard and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and macaroni; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forHearty Chili Mac
"We had this delicious recipe last night. Definitely a winner. I made a few adjustments. First, I halved the recipe for the two of us. I omitted the sugar as we don't like our chili sweet. I subbed vegetable juice as that was all I had on hand but next time I will use the tomato juice. However, it was delicious and we went back for seconds. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor"
"This is delicious! My husband devoured it! :) will most definitely make it again."
"I get people asking me to make this all the time, great chili, not spicy. A few adjustments I make: I don't brown the beef and onions together, I drain before adding the onions and brown a little more for 5 mins, to save the onion juices. The best onion to use is the biggest Vidalia onion you can find, or two medium sweet yellows if those are not available. I use vegetable juice instead of tomato juice. I put in a whole tablespoon of salt. I use one can of light red kidney beans, and one can of dark red kidney beans, as it gives it a nice presentation. I use a whole cup of macaroni as well."
"Because I didn?t add the beans, I increased the noodles to one cup (112 g.), it still wasn?t thick enough for a chili Mac, but it was perfect for a new twist on chili! I may make this for my chili cook off this year adding a couple cans of green chilies. Increase the noodles for a hearty chili mac. I will make this again and again."
"I've made this recipe a few times and we really enjoy it. I also increase the amount of macaroni I put in it as it makes it heartier."
"This was pretty good. I would make it again."
"Ran across this recipe and it sounded so good...and it was! Simple to prepare and such great flavors! I did use 1 cup of macaroni instead of 1/2 cup...my hubby told me it was a "keeper"!"
"Very good! I purchased vegetable juice instead of tomato juice by accident and it was still good! I followed other suggestions and added about 1 cup of macaroni and only 1 can on beans! We loved it!"