- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small cabbage, chopped (about 10 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven, bring broth, cabbage and onion to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Add sausage; heat through.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forHearty Cabbage-Sausage Soup
"I followed direction but there was little flavor. I added an extra cup of broth and parsley, onion bbq rub spice and then it tasted much better."
"Delicious! I did make a few changes though...trying to use up leftovers. I added 2 extra cups of broth, 3 diced potatoes, 1 cup of applesauce, and a Tbls. of parsley. We served it over rice as well. Very good flavor in this recipe."
"easy recipe and very tasty. I followed other reviewer's advice and grilled the sausage and added carrots and garlic powder. No additional salt was needed. I used chicken & apple sausage that is a little spicy but lower in fat. The extra spice in the sausage kicked it up a notch, especially with the added black pepper. Next time I prepare this recipe, if use this same sausage, I will omit the pepper. It was a little too spicy for some family members, but I loved it!"
"5 stars. Have made this numerous times over the years since it was published. Excellent!"
"Great recipe (Can you say "Comfort Food"). I took other reviewers advise and used less then 1/2 the salt that was called for. sprinkled in a little garlic powder and magically I had a great bowl of soup. Will definitely make again."