- 4 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- PINEAPPLE SAUCE:
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine 3-1/2 cups milk, rice, sugar and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese. Beat in eggs and remaining milk. Stir into rice mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes over medium heat until mixture reaches 160°. Stir in vanilla. Spoon into six dessert dishes.
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice; set the pineapple aside. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, butter, salt and reserved pineapple juice. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vanilla and pineapple. Spoon over pudding. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHawaiian Rice Pudding
"After trying this, I'll never use another recipe for rice pudding. I always double the sauce because it adds that special touch. I promise you won't be disappointed if you try this recipe. We like it both warm and cold. I also like to serve it to guests.Additional comment: I inadvertently opened a can of crushed pineapple instead of the chunks. It worked great. In fact, it's now our preference."
"This is the best rice pudding receipe I've come across! Rich, creamy and full of flavor-I made my sauce with what I had on hand- strawberries, blackberries and pineapple in lemon juice and cornstarch."
"This rice pudding is mmmmmm, mmmmm good! Very easy to make, creamy, not too sweet, and seems to be fool proof! It's delicious without the sauce, but adding it makes it heavenly. I use 1% milk, and it tastes rich and wonderful."
"I have made this rice pudding since it was featured in taste of home with two exceptions I omit the cream cheese and do not make the sauce. I use whole milk, half & half, or a combination. I use jasmine rice for long grain, it doesn't stick. My husband doesn't care for pudding so it leaves more for me & my kids. We eat this cold, warm with or without cream, but its best when the chill has been knocked off."
"Do you eat this hot or cold?"