Ham & Mandarin Salad
I created this salad at the request of all the men in our house. They asked for something tangy, sweet, spicy and manly. This fit the bill. —Patricia Swart, Galloway, New Jersey
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices deli ham (about 6 ounces), cut into strips
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 cups torn romaine
- In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients. Stir in ham, mandarin oranges, celery, walnuts and green onions. Serve on romaine, tossing before serving if desired.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts2-1/4 cups: 172 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as HAM 'N MANDARIN SALAD in Taste of Home April/May 2015