Grilled Watermelon Gazpacho
This is the perfect starter for a summer dinner or a lunch meal. It's cool and tangy with a whole lot of great grilled flavor. If you like a little more spice, just add more jalapenos. —George Levinthal, Goleta, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Grill: 10 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 seedless watermelon, cut into three 1-1/2-in.-thick slices
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, halved
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons diced red onion, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil over watermelon slices, tomato, cucumber and jalapeno; grill, covered, on a greased grill rack over medium-high direct heat until seared, 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove from heat, reserving one watermelon slice.
- When cool enough to handle, remove rind from remaining watermelon slices; cut flesh into chunks. Remove skin and seeds from tomato and jalapeno; chop. Coarsely chop cucumber. Combine grilled vegetables; add 1/4 cup onion, vinegar, lime juice and seasonings. Process in batches in a blender until smooth, adding remaining olive oil during final minute. If desired, strain through a fine-mesh strainer; adjust seasonings as needed. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- To serve, pour gazpacho into bowls or glasses. Top with diced avocado and remaining onion. Cut reserved watermelon slice into wedges. Garnish bowls or glasses with wedges.