Green Tomato Parmesan
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 5 minutes; pat dry.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Place flour in a separate shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and basil.
- Coat tomato slices in flour, then dip in egg whites and coat with bread crumb mixture. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the tomatoes and spread with ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 313 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Jul 15, 2012
It tasted great!! I used sea salt and also used five cheese sauce. I also used cottage cheese in place of the ricotta cheese because I forgot to get it. It tasted great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.