Green Tomato Parmesan
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 2 pounds medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 5 minutes; pat dry.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Place flour in a separate shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and basil.
- Coat tomato slices in flour, then dip in egg whites and coat with bread crumb mixture. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the tomatoes and spread with ricotta cheese. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 313 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 15, 2012
It tasted great!! I used sea salt and also used five cheese sauce. I also used cottage cheese in place of the ricotta cheese because I forgot to get it. It tasted great.