- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 10 medium)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a measuring cup, combine egg yolk and enough milk to measure 1/3 cup. Gradually add to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half. Roll one portion into a thin 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Transfer to the bottom of an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes. In a large bowl, combine the apples, 1 cup sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Spoon over crust.
- Roll remaining dough into a thin 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; place over apple filling. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm pastry. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forGlazed Apple Pie Squares
"I would've given this recipe 5 stars, with one simple change. Double the crust! I have no idea how these other reviewers were able to make this crust recipe work for the size pan in the recipe. The crust is easy to work with and rolls out easily, however, on my first attempt I could tell there was no way it would stretch to fit the top and bottom, so I doubled it. Problem solved. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly and will be making these tasty treats again."
"These are really fantastic! I had to add more milk to the dough, but otherwise followed recipe exactly. Really, really good!"
"Not enough dough for this size of a pan.Dough was way too thin win rolled out half. Had to make additional dough."
"Made this for our company picnic and got several requests for the recipe."
"This is excellent"
"I made this and didn't have cornflakes, so I used Total with raisins, then threw in a few more raisins. I also used a bit of almond flavouring for the glaze. This was so good, it was a good thing that my family came home when they did, otherwise it just may have 'disappeared' somewhere, and I would be napping with a huge smile on my face."
"I made these into small individual turnovers, much easier. Love the taste."
"I made this the other Day as I had Guests...it was a huge hit, I used Raw sugar rather that regular sugar and it was oh so delicious!"