Gingerbread Scones with Lemon Butter
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- LEMON BUTTER:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk cream and molasses; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in currants.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and zest until combined. Serve with warm scones.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 3, 2014
These are 5 star scones! YUMMY! I can't wait to serve them to my friends at our next tea time get together! After reading the ingredients of another scone recipe I received in my daily TOH email, I knew it was not what my family would enjoy. It did not include allspice or ginger! I was delighted to find this recipe on the same site! It is definitely moist yet flakey. The lemon butter was super on top! Although, I substituted honey for the sugar for health reasons, it was a deliciousness without feeling guilty! Highly Recommended! This recipe will not disappoint.