- 1-1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 24 squares)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 5 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and brown sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the chocolate, brown sugar and cocoa. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Add extracts. Place pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 16 in. square); securely wrap foil around pan. Pour the filling onto crust.
- Place pan in a large baking pan. Fill larger pan with 1 in. of hot water. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until center is just set. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- In a saucepan, combine topping ingredients. bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 3 minutes. Cool. Remove sides of springform pan; spread topping over cheese cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forGerman Chocolate Cake Cheesecake
"Made this for my husbands birthday. It was very good, did not change a thing."
"I find that if you separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the egg whites into firm peaks and then fold them into the mixed batter you a much lighter cheese cake."
"Amazing flavor and a compliment to any meal. The almond extract is the winning flavor here. Yumm!"
"Awesome. I did not bake it in a water bath and I only baked it for 35 minutes. It was perfect. I will definitely make it again sometime."
"This takes a bit of time to make but it is well worth it. Totally decadent and rich in flavor. It comes out perfectly. I will make this many, many times to my family and friends delight."
"I was so impressed with this recipe! It came out PERFECT!!!! Would make again! and again and again and again! Ha ha! It's my new favorite cheesecake now :D"