German Beef Rouladen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips
- 3 whole dill pickles, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, optional
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Cut steak into six serving-size pieces; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a bacon strip down the center of each piece; arrange a pickle half on one edge. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, onion, parsley and bouillon if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- For gravy, skim fat from drippings. Combine the flour, water and browning sauce if desired; stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 481 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 54g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 26, 2018
My recipe calls for mustard which you spread on the beef before the bacon. I include onion and green pepper in the rolled up beef with the bacon and pickle. The rest of the onion and green pepper are chopped and added to the pan with the beef. I use beef broth instead of bouillon.
Mar 7, 2017
My German grandmother made a similar dish so I was excited to try it! I loved this, it was just like I remembered. I served it with Dijon Scalloped Potatoes (also a ToH recipe) and we were so satisfied. I used flank steak because I couldn't find the type of steak the author recommended - and it was still great.
Mar 7, 2017
I remember my German grandmother making something similar to this so I was very excited to try it. I couldn't find steaks the right size so I used flank steak and I thought it was great. I served it with this other Taste of Home recipe https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/dijon-scalloped-potatoes. Both were yummy!
Oct 23, 2013
This was great!
May 26, 2013
This was just the way I remembered. Whole family liked the flavor though some didn't eat the pickle. The gravy was very easy. I just added a little milk to thin it out. I'll be making again.