German Beef Rouladen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 pounds beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips
- 3 whole dill pickles, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules, optional
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Cut steak into six serving-size pieces; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a bacon strip down the center of each piece; arrange a pickle half on one edge. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef on all sides. Add the water, onion, parsley and bouillon if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- For gravy, skim fat from drippings. Combine the flour, water and browning sauce if desired; stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 481 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 143mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 54g protein.
Mar 7, 2017
My German grandmother made a similar dish so I was excited to try it! I loved this, it was just like I remembered. I served it with Dijon Scalloped Potatoes (also a ToH recipe) and we were so satisfied. I used flank steak because I couldn't find the type of steak the author recommended - and it was still great.
Mar 7, 2017
I remember my German grandmother making something similar to this so I was very excited to try it. I couldn't find steaks the right size so I used flank steak and I thought it was great. I served it with this other Taste of Home recipe https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/dijon-scalloped-potatoes. Both were yummy!
Oct 23, 2013
This was great!
May 26, 2013
This was just the way I remembered. Whole family liked the flavor though some didn't eat the pickle. The gravy was very easy. I just added a little milk to thin it out. I'll be making again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.