Frozen Brandy Old-Fashioneds
Both sides of my family are from the Midwest, so our strong brandy tradition is evident in both the traditional slush we make for the holidays and the Wisconsin old-fashioned cocktails we enjoy year-round. I decided to combine those recipes into something completely new. It goes very quickly at family gatherings! —Stephanie Vaughan, Madison, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing
Makes12 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts slush mix)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups brandy
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/4 cup bitters
- EACH SERVING:
- 1/4 cup lemon-lime soda, chilled
- Maraschino cherries and orange wedges, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved; cool completely. Stir in brandy, orange juice concentrate, juice and bitters. Pour into a 3-qt. freezer container. Freeze overnight or until set.
- For each serving, scoop 3/4 cup slush into a rocks glass. Pour lemon-lime soda into the glass; serve with fruit as desired.