Frittelle di Riso
For this traditional Italian dinner, we created these rice fritters that serve as a sweet and satisfying dessert.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 7-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar and honey, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in sugar and milk. Refrigerate until chilled. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, baking powder, salt and vanilla; add to rice mixture. Stir in flour.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Shape tablespoonfuls of rice mixture into 2-in. oval shapes. Fry ovals, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with honey if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 88 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Sfinci Di Risso in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.