Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 12 fresh cherrystone clams, shucked
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tartar sauce or seafood cocktail sauce, optional
- In a shallow bowl, combine 3/4 cup cornmeal and 1/4 cup flour with the water, forming a batter. In another bowl, combine the remaining cornmeal and flour.
- Dip clams in batter; shake off excess. Coat with cornmeal mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry clams, a few at a time, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- Serve immediately with sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 127 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 16, 2016
I was really excited to try this recipe because I have always loved fried clam strips. Well, this is an awful lot of work with the cleaning and shucking; but even more so I just couldn't get past the idea that I would be eating something that looked so unappetizing. I actually never got to the frying part and I threw the clams away. I realize this sounds ridiculous, but I think this may be one of those dishes that you just need to be raised on.