- 1 jar (16 ounces) black bean and corn salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-use Southwestern chicken strips, chopped
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 ounces quesadilla cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the salsa, corn, jalapenos, 2 tablespoons cilantro and lime juice. In another bowl, combine the chicken, remaining cilantro and 1/2 cup salsa mixture; set aside. Reserve remaining salsa for serving.
- Unroll a pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Using a floured 4-in. round cookie cutter placed halfway on edge of pastry, cut 4-in. x 3-in. football shapes. Repeat with remaining dough, chilling and rerolling scraps as needed.
- Transfer half of the cutouts to greased baking sheets. Place 1 tablespoon chicken mixture in the center of each; top each with 1-1/2 teaspoons cheese. Brush edges of pastry with egg. Top with remaining cutouts; press edges with a fork to seal. Cut slits in the tops to resemble football laces. Brush tops with egg.
- Bake at 450° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with reserved salsa mixture. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forFootball Fest Empanadas
"I used the meat mixture (omitting the jalapeño) and made quesadillas. They were delicious!"
"Well, I gots a better resipe for this snac. yall get Pills-berries do, make that in-to a lil pocket, and stuff it full of American cheese and slices of ham, and then just serve it! With butter glaze, its wonderness!"
"These tasted good, especially served with the salsa. Not sure if I'd make it again but certainly glad that I tried it."
"I cheated and made these in my pie maker (the Sunbeam appliance my husband once called the most useless appliance in the kitchen...until I made him some pies and these empanadas. mwahahaha). As we had kids over, I didn't use jalapenos and I hate cilantro, so I skipped that as well. Didn't matter! They were still very tasty. I might put a bit more cheese in next time, but will definitely make again!"
"Great recipe! I saved a little more time by using a couple pkgs. of the pre-cut wrappers by Goya. You can find these in the ethnic frozen food section of your supermarket."
"easy to do, i will definitely make these again. I got 12 4 1/2" empanadas out of this recipe..."
"these were so easy to make, ingredients were cheap, and a hit with my friends! definitely will make again."