My family enjoys having these beef turnovers in place of sandwiches for a change of pace. They freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave for a quick, hot meal.—Tammy Forbes, Lancaster, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups thick spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CORNMEAL PASTRY:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Taco sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, raisins and seasonings; simmer.
- Meanwhile, for pastry, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add ice water, a little at a time, until dough forms a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide pastry into two balls; roll half out on a lightly floured surface to a 16-in. circle. Cut into four 7-1/2-in. rounds. Place 1/2 cup filling on each round. Combine egg and water; brush on pastry edges. Fold dough over to form half circles; crimp edges to seal. Repeat with other half of pastry and remaining filling.
- Place on greased baking sheets; brush tops with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with taco sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 631 calories, 35g fat (10g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.