My family enjoys having these beef turnovers in place of sandwiches for a change of pace. They freeze well and can be reheated in the microwave for a quick, hot meal.—Tammy Forbes, Lancaster, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups thick spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- CORNMEAL PASTRY:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Taco sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, raisins and seasonings; simmer.
- Meanwhile, for pastry, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add ice water, a little at a time, until dough forms a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide pastry into two balls; roll half out on a lightly floured surface to a 16-in. circle. Cut into four 7-1/2-in. rounds. Place 1/2 cup filling on each round. Combine egg and water; brush on pastry edges. Fold dough over to form half circles; crimp edges to seal. Repeat with other half of pastry and remaining filling.
- Place on greased baking sheets; brush tops with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with taco sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 631 calories, 35g fat (10g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Cornmeal Empanadas in Country Ground Beef