Turn your leftovers into tasty empanadas using refrigerated pie pastry. We make these savory pastries and freeze them for a quick fix during the holidays. —Cheryl Marinaccio, Webster, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup cooked stuffing
- 2 tablespoons whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons turkey gravy
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Rubbed sage, optional
- Additional turkey gravy or whole-berry cranberry sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll one pastry. Roll out into a 12-in. circle. Cut with a floured 4-in. biscuit cutter. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with water; brush over edges of pastry circles. Place 1 tablespoon filling on one side. Fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush tops with remaining egg mixture; sprinkle with sage if desired. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with gravy or cranberry sauce if desired. Freeze option: Freeze cooled pastries in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, reheat pastries on a greased baking sheet in a preheated 400° oven 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through.
Originally published as Thanksgiving Empanadas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.