Empanada Beef Chili
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- Optional toppings: shredded Mexican cheese blend, minced fresh cilantro and chopped walnuts
- Toss beef with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches; remove from pan.
- Add onion and remaining oil to same pan; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato paste, chipotle pepper and cinnamon; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in broth, green chilies, raisins and cilantro. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Stir in beans and olives; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. If desired, serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 373 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 957mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 5, 2019
Not sure what the problem is with the name of this recipe? It clearly states that it was an original Empanada recipe converted to a Chili recipe. All you have to do is read the introduction.
Dec 30, 2018
I agree w/Carol. I'm looking for a beef empanada recipe, which is a beef turnover, usually w/latin spices, NOT a beef chili recipe. someone should remove the word "empanada" from the title. Very confusing.
Apr 9, 2018
I am not understanding the name at all. Empanadas are Latin American "dumplings." They are a type of turnover.