Flamboyant Flamenco Summer Salad
I came up with this salad simply by choosing the best-looking vegetables at a local farmers market—the colors are so beautiful! Turn it into a full vegetarian meal by adding roasted garbanzo beans or cooked white beans. —Crystal Schlueter, Babbitt, Minnesota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 medium rainbow carrots
- 4 medium blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium fresh beet, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinaigrette
- 4 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup shaved Manchego or Parmesan cheese
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave carrots lengthwise into very thin slices; place in a large bowl. Add oranges, red onion, beet, radishes, pistachios, tomatoes, capers, salt and pepper. Drizzle with dressing; lightly toss to coat. Arrange lettuce on a platter; top with vegetable mixture. Top with cheese.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 103 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Flamboyant Flamenco Summer Salad in Taste of Home Summer 2018