- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in apple and nuts. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. For topping, combine the first four ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forDutch Apple Bread
"I did not care for this bread. I don't think it had enough apples. It tasted on the dry side, and didn't have much taste. I am surprised by the rave reviews."
"I loved this bread I added some cinnamon, allspice and cloves, was perfect."
"I added cinnamon and allspice to the batter as I thought it would give the apples a punch. It did! I will also add next time a little cloves. The topping was perfect as I did not want an excessively sweet topping. I made 8 little loaves but found that they were a little crumbly when cut into slices. I may have to add another egg."
"This was easy and really good I had a mix of apples from apple picking so I used a few different kinds. It turned out great and I'm going to make this in mini loafs to freeze and give as gifts. My whole family loved it and my husband put apple butter on ti and and he said it made it even better."
"After reading all the rave reviews I was very disappointed in this recipe. It is rare I come across a TOH recipe I don't like. Mine had very little taste to it. I think it needs more apples and the topping was not as sweet as I thought it would be. Even hubby didn't care for it. Have to give it 2 stars. :("
"This bread is excellent! My whole family loved it and asked for more! Would make it again thats sure"
"I was very impressed with this bread. I took it out at 55 minutes, and it seemed to be perfect. My loaf had more of a crumb topping than the picture shows. Excellent."