Decorated Sugar Cookie Cutouts
What’s the Yuletide season without cutout cookies? This recipe includes directions for making royal icing, but feel free to use whatever icing or other decorating techniques you wish.
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Bake: 15 min./per batch
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ROYAL ICING:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 7 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup meringue powder
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 to 2 drops clear vanilla extract, optional
- Assorted food coloring, optional
- Assorted candy coating disks, melted
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, egg yolks and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat.
- Bake at 350° for 13-16 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and corn syrup. If desired, add extract and tint with food coloring; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high for 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture. Frost cookies. Let stand until set.
- To decorate cookies, place melted candy coating in small resealable plastic bags; cut a small hole in the corner of each bag. Decorate cookies as desired.
Cookie Place Cards: Pipe names on frosted cookies using melted candy coating. Let stand until set. For each cookie, lay one caramel flat; cut diagonally into two pieces. Using royal icing or melted candy coating, attach caramel pieces to back of cookie, allowing it to stand. Let stand until dry.
Editor's NoteMeringue powder is available from Wilton Industries. Call 800-794-5866 or visit wilton.com.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.