Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup white wine or beef broth
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- Hot cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over low heat for 15-20 minutes or brown, stirring occasionally. Add wine; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Add to slow cooker. Combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic and seasonings; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until heated through.
- Place raisins in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain. Stir the green pepper, olives, jalapeno and raisins into the slow cooker. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Serve with rice.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 331 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 685mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 22, 2017
I love Cuban food, and loved this!! I used some for filling empanadas, and kept some to freeze for later. Will definitely make this again!!
May 4, 2012
Very interesting combination of flavors. I used a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes. This recipe freezes well.