Crunchy Caramel Corn
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 quarts
- 6 cups popped popcorn
- 3/4 cup salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Place popcorn and peanuts in a large microwave-safe bowl; set aside. In another microwave-safe bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt. Cover and microwave on high for 30-60 seconds; stir. Microwave 1-1/2 minutes longer.
- Stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour over popcorn mixture. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes, stirring several times. Spread on greased baking sheets to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 237 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 13, 2009
I made four batches of this caramel corn today. The flavor its awesome! However, after trial and error, I found with my particular microwave, I needed to double the amount of time that the popcorn was in the microwave (the last step). 4 minutes instead of 2 was perfect! (After two minutes, the caramel corn was still too soft after it cooled, 3 was better, but 4 was just right. I also experimented with the amount of the vanilla and found about 2 teaspoons instead of 1/2 was perfect for me! It really enhanced the flavor. Super easy recipe, it will be a staple in my house for years to come! Thank you so much!!!
Dec 20, 2008
This is so easy, I feel like I'm cheating. Oh if anyone is watching their cholesterol, the new Smart Balance sticks that are half butter, half Smart Balance, work just fine in this recipe.
Dec 1, 2008
Does anyone know why my caramel popcorn turns sugary instead of crunchy when I put it in the over to finish it?