Ultimate Caramel Chocolate Popcorn
Have the munchies? They’re no match for this nutty caramel corn drizzled with melted chocolate. —Kim Forni, Claremont, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 18 cups air-popped popcorn
- 1 can (15 ounces) mixed nuts
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate, milk chocolate and/or white baking chips
- 3 teaspoons shortening
- Preheat oven to 250°. Place popcorn and nuts in a greased roasting pan; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer to two greased 15x10X1-in. baking pans.
- Bake 1 hour or until dry, stirring every 15 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt each chocolate separately, adding 1 teaspoon shortening to each 1/2 cup chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over popcorn mixture; let stand until set.
- Break into clusters. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 419 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Ultimate Caramel Chocolate Popcorn in Country Woman Christmas 2011