Crisp Button Cookies
Almost too cute to eat but too sweet to resist, these clever cookies take minutes to make. They’ll disappear as quickly! Bonnie Buckley - Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Assorted food coloring, optional
- Multicolored pull-and-peel licorice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and cardamom; gradually beat into creamed mixture. If desired, divide dough into portions; tint with food coloring. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. With the top of a 1/4-cup measuring cup dipped in flour, press an indented edge into each cookie. Using a plastic straw, cut out four holes near the center of the cookie.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Lace licorice through the holes in each button; trim licorice.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 78 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.