Beary Cute Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- 30 miniature milk chocolate kisses
- 60 M&M's miniature baking bits
- Colored decorating icing, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture (dough will be crumbly).
- Set aside about 1/2 cup dough for ears. Shape remaining dough into 1-in. balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to about 1/2-in. thickness. Roll reserved dough into 1/2-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place two smaller balls about 1 in. apart touching each flattened ball (do not flatten smaller balls).
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven; immediately press one kiss and two baking bits into each cookie for nose and eyes. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. If desired, pipe with colored icing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 2, 2014
I made a double batch of these adorable cookies for my niece's baby shower and they were definitely a hit! Since everything's better with butter, I did use half butter and half shortening, instead of all shortening. The cookies were delicious!
May 28, 2012
We use this recipe all the time! It's perfect to just make round cookies and push m&m's into them.