Creamy Strawberry French Toast Bake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (1 pound) cinnamon bread, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Toss 2 cups strawberries with sugar. In another bowl, beat the next 5 ingredients until smooth. Place half the bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spoon cream cheese mixture over bread. Layer with strawberry mixture and remaining bread. Whisk eggs and cream until blended; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream and remaining strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 431 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 5g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 2, 2020
I did a few things differently... like using frozen berries so I heat it up in medium temp. (sauce like). After the berries are done I added the cream cheese. I mixed it and then poured it on top of 1/2 the bread... I added the rest of the bread and poured the whisked eggs and half-and-half mixture... while I poured it I stabbed the bread a few times until the batter filtered the mix. I added a lid of aluminum paper and then baked it at 350 for 55 minutes... after that I took the aluminum paper off and left it for 15 minutes more at 375.
Dec 15, 2019
This has to bake MUCH longer than the 40-45 minutes in the recipe. It's been in the oven > 1 hour at this point and the center is still sloppy wet while the top layer of bread is burnt. I'm giving up. The recipe looks good, but it just does not cook right.
Sep 26, 2019
We really enjoyed this. The orange cream layer was delectable. I took off one star because the top bread layer gets overdone since sits above the egg layer and does not get cooked in, so the exposed bread just gets toasted and on the verge of burnt. If you are someone that likes this texture, no worries but I personally do not. I think to avoid this next time I'll either not add the top layer of bread or make extra egg mixture to make sure the top layer gets baked in. If you do make the recipe as stated, I'd suggest pressing down the top layer some into the egg mixture before putting in the oven so the bread gets soaked. Hopefully this way the egg mixture will cook around the bread more and help avoid over toasting.
Jul 1, 2019
So delicious. Family loved this breakfast.