Creamy Curried Pumpkin Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- In a small saucepan, saute onions with curry powder in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually add broth and pumpkin. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in buttermilk and ham; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 187 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 29, 2013
This was a tasty soup. I added some salt and pepper as well as a bit more curry. I also used chicken instead of ham. Leftover turkey could be used too!
Nov 8, 2012
Tasty. I made it with leftover baked acorn squash. I also added a bit more curry, some fresh ground pepper, and some sea salt. Served with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan cheese and ground pepper. A great way to use leftover squash! Very creamy and satisfying.
Oct 20, 2009
I have made this several times - most of the time without the ham. The buttermilk is the key ingredient. It is a real crowd pleaser - especially with a spoonful of sour cream on top and some chopped parsley.