Creamy Curried Pumpkin Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- In a small saucepan, saute onions with curry powder in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually add broth and pumpkin. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in buttermilk and ham; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 187 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Nov 29, 2013
This was a tasty soup. I added some salt and pepper as well as a bit more curry. I also used chicken instead of ham. Leftover turkey could be used too!
Nov 8, 2012
Tasty. I made it with leftover baked acorn squash. I also added a bit more curry, some fresh ground pepper, and some sea salt. Served with a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan cheese and ground pepper. A great way to use leftover squash! Very creamy and satisfying.
Oct 20, 2009
I have made this several times - most of the time without the ham. The buttermilk is the key ingredient. It is a real crowd pleaser - especially with a spoonful of sour cream on top and some chopped parsley.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.