- 1/3 cup green onions (tops only)
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cauliflower, thawed and chopped
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, optional
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cauliflower; simmer for 2 minutes. Add the milk and cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in sherry if desired. Garnish with chives. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCream of Cauliflower Soup
"It has turned cold here in the midwest; soup weather.My husband's favorite veggie is cauliflower. We had this soup one night for supper it was absolutely delicious. It was easy to prepare. The only change I made was I didn't have cheddar cheese, but I did have parmesan cheese and used that. It was delicious."
"Great soup with a couple changes from other reviews! Added potatoes, shredded carotts and regular cheddar. Used fresh cauliflower, cooked it with the potatoes first."
"I gave this recipe 5 stars but only because I was inspired by it to go heavy cream and Sargento shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, along with my favorite Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, Sea Salt and White Pepper. This all came about because I had a couple of bundles of green onions from Christmas, along with 3 cups heavy cream. Seeing the potential for a decadent "fat" version of this soup, I tried it out. Definitely a keeper! Thank you for your inspiration to try this soup my way! Happy New Year to you all!"
"Delicious! Thanks Karen for sharing the recipe. I added some shredded carrot and a diced potato. I served it with Hawaiian Rolls."
"If you use low fat or fake cheese spray with veg. Oil spray or olive oil in your own mister. Every second of spray is 7 cal. But helps melt even fake cheese. Add a little crumbled crunchy bacon and try a little sharp or extra sharp cheddar. I wouldn't have 1% in my house. Our local dairy Braums has 2% that tastes better than whole milk from Walmart. Really good soup."
"I made this without cheese and used lactose free milk. I had to substitute vegetable broth because I was out of chicken broth and used a package of broccoli and cauliflower since that is what the store had. Overall, very good! I would definitely make this again."
"Just made it without the sherry. Love it!"
"This recipe looked so good but I wound up being disappointed. Like Rosaliemary, the low-fat cheese didn't melt,,,,I ended up with huge soft clumps of cheese with long rubbery strings. Plus, I used skim milk because that is what we drink so the soup was almost watery.( That was my fault.) I will try a different recipe in the future and will NEVER use low-fat cheese in a soup again!"
"Very good. A change of pace from cream of broccoli soup."