Cranberry Pear Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups chopped peeled ripe pears
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons 2% milk
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans, cranberries and apple pie spice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream just until combined. Fold in pears.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with half of the pecan mixture; top with remaining batter and pecan mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk the glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 400 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 6, 2013
Have been **eyeing** this cake for few weeks now. Let me ask, is it really necessary to peel the pears, or can they be diced finely to avoid the extra step? Thank you to those who reply.
Jan 4, 2012
This cake is very special, I made it for Christmas. Be sure you grease and flour properly, so the cake come out in one piece. Mine fell apart, but it was still delicious.
Nov 2, 2010
Loved this cake. I have a large pear tree and was looking for a cake recipe using pears. This is tops. I served it for a birthday dinner and it was really enjoyed.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.