Cranberry Catch of the Day
Most folks may not think of serving fish for Christmas. But a colorful cranberry sauce and pleasant pecan dressing make this entree elegant.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 9 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 cups cubed bread
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 haddock, cod or halibut fillets (6 ounces each)
- ORANGE-CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir celery and onion in 6 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in bread cubes, pecans, orange juice, orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange fillets over stuffing.
- Melt remaining butter; drizzle over fillets. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Bake, uncovered, 25-28 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; whisk in water and orange juice until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add cranberries; cook 5 minutes or until berries pop. Stir in orange zest. Serve with fish and stuffing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 473 calories, 29g fat (12g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 801mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Holiday Cranberry Catch in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.