- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (12 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, halved
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the salsa, beans, pizza sauce, pepperoni, water, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forContest-Winning Pepperoni Pizza Chili
"Very good. Best chili recipe I've made so far. Cut up the pepperoni slices. Omitted the salt . Salty enough without it."
"This was a very good chili, though I omit the sausage."
"I made this for the chili cook-off at work and it won first place! I bought an 8 oz. hunk of pepperoni from the deli and diced it up. Much preferred the texture of cubed pepperoni in place of slices. I did not find this chili to be overly greasy at all and did not precook the pepperoni or drain the sausage. I think the bit of grease in the pan is a big part of the flavor as everything cooks together. Made it on a Sunday and stuck it in the fridge for two days to let the flavors meld. I heated it back up in a crock pot on high for 3 hours. I added generous amounts of black pepper for extra flavor and spice. Topped it with mozzarella. Definitely a winner!"
"This was easy and delicious. I left out the salt and was still very good."
"Delicious chili recipe. I used mild Italian sausage instead of hot. My wife and daughter (who aren't big on spice) still found it quite spicy."
"I made this chili for a contest and won 3rd place. I did make a few changes based on the reviews. I had doubled the recipe but didn't double the ground beef and it was still a meaty chili. I found mini pepperoni slices which didn't require cutting and I heated them up in a paper towel lined pie plate and blotted off the excess grease. I also cooked it in a crock pot and added a layer of mozzarella cheese on top to melt and become ooey gooey cheesy goodness. Very good chili I will definitely make again."
"I cooked the 3lbs of meat, but only used about 1/2 of it. And I still added another can of spaghetti sauce because it was nice, but *very* meaty! Everyone put pepperoni and cheese on top of their own bowl and it was a hit!"
"It was good but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I felt it could have used more flavor."