Company Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Brown roast in oil in a Dutch oven on all sides; drain. Combine the sherry, soy sauce, sugar, bouillon and cinnamon stick; pour over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding the carrots, potatoes and onion during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked meat with 2 cups vegetables and 1/4 cup gravy: 713 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 148mg cholesterol, 1437mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fiber), 49g protein.
Mar 19, 2020
Can't say enough about this Pot Roast. Excellent. This is my go to Pot Roast.
Jan 11, 2020
This is the perfect pot roast recipe. It is absolutely delicious, smells soooo good when cooking. Will serve it when next we have dinner guests. I used beef broth as I had no sherry.
Jan 8, 2020
Wish I could give this 10 stars!!! I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY L O V E D this roast!! The gravy is INCREDIBLE!! I added one sweet potato (peeled and cubed). I browned the roast and put it in the oven at 325 degrees for 30 minutes (while I prepared the vegetables) then added them to the roast. Everything was done within 2 hours. (I used beef broth instead of the sherry.) This will definitely be a regular this winter!!
Dec 8, 2019
Gaylace, The ingredients list 1 cup of sherry. I made this with sherry and it really made this a different kind of Sunday Pot Roast.
Dec 4, 2019
This recipe sounds really good but how much Sherry? I don't see it listed in the ingredients?
Nov 3, 2019
Really loved this recipe and it got rave reviews from guests. I added garlic and mushrooms. Otherwise made as directed. Will make again!!
Sep 18, 2019
This roast was so moist and the taste was so delicious. The gravy made the roast and veggies taste great. My family just loved it. Thank you for sharing this great recipe.
Dec 4, 2016
This was fantastic. Perfect for our first snowy day of the season. It took A LOT longer than 30 minutes for my potatoes and carrots to cook, but I anticipated that might be the case and added them halfway thru cooking. What a delicious flavor - and the gravy was great.
Apr 21, 2016
I have made this recipe several times. I got it from the Feb/Mar 2013 issue of Simple and Delicious Magazine. It is the best pot roast recipe I've ever made!
Jan 2, 2016
This recipe had a lot of deep flavor and the meat was very moist. I made this in the crockpot. I let it cook on low for 8 hours. I did sear the meat before placing it on all the veggies. Lastly I topped it off with the liquid. My husband really liked this dish and so did our guests. I did omit the corn starch & water slurry.