Company Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-3/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sherry or beef broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Brown roast in oil in a Dutch oven on all sides; drain. Combine the sherry, soy sauce, sugar, bouillon and cinnamon stick; pour over roast.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding the carrots, potatoes and onion during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked meat with 2 cups vegetables and 1/4 cup gravy: 713 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 148mg cholesterol, 1437mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 5g fiber), 49g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 4, 2016
This was fantastic. Perfect for our first snowy day of the season. It took A LOT longer than 30 minutes for my potatoes and carrots to cook, but I anticipated that might be the case and added them halfway thru cooking. What a delicious flavor - and the gravy was great.
Apr 21, 2016
I have made this recipe several times. I got it from the Feb/Mar 2013 issue of Simple and Delicious Magazine. It is the best pot roast recipe I've ever made!
Jan 2, 2016
This recipe had a lot of deep flavor and the meat was very moist. I made this in the crockpot. I let it cook on low for 8 hours. I did sear the meat before placing it on all the veggies. Lastly I topped it off with the liquid. My husband really liked this dish and so did our guests. I did omit the corn starch & water slurry.
Sep 13, 2015
Great recipe! I used the beef broth, and forgot to include the onion, but everything else was exact.
Nov 30, 2014
This was very good. I omitted the sugar and used 1 cup cabernet sauvignon instead of sherry.
Nov 17, 2014
Very good. Used dry red wine instead of sherry and skipped veggies. Will make again.
Nov 11, 2014
I followed the recipe to the t. It came out sweet and tasted like cinnamon. I ended up throwing it out because no one would eat it. Was everyone else's "sweet" ? Did i do something wrong?
Nov 3, 2014
I am making this again today for the 2nd time...this is one of the best pot roast recipes! The first time I made it in a crockpot and it came out perfect. Today, I'm trying it baked in the oven. The flavor is wonderful and the meat is so tender it just falls apart. The only change I made was I used "better than boullion" which is like a boullion paste in a jar. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks :)
Oct 25, 2014
I used tiny, Honey Gold potatoes (left the peeling on) and baby carrots (already peeled). I quartered a white onion (but a dry onion soup pack sounds good and may help thicken the sauce). The sugar really isn't needed.Didn't have cooking sherry, so I used a cup of Cabernet Sauvignon and added a concentrated beef bouillon base (it's much richer). Great option on thickening the gravy. Don't use too much - it will thicken in about 7 minutes. Enjoy!
Oct 5, 2014
I did this in my crock pot and it turned out great also.