Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 cups 2% cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 12 no-cook lasagna noodles
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 2 cups mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs and parsley.
- Spread 1 cup meat mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles, 1-1/4 cups meat mixture and 1 cup cheese mixture. Repeat 3 times. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 374 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 12, 2016
I have made this recipe twice for company and both times it was a hit. I cooked sweet Italian sausage with one chopped onion, which really made it extra tasty. I also cut up the stewed tomatoes to avoid such big chunks. Definitely a keeper!
Dec 30, 2013
Pretty basic recipe. I thought 2 tablespoons of oregano seemed like quite a lot and cut it to 1 tablespoon. Oregano was still overwhelming. Next time I will cut it to 1-2 tsp. Maybe my family just aren't oregano lovers, but it would have been inedible with the full 2 tablespoons. I am assuming it is a typo and should be tsp.
Dec 19, 2013
This is almost the exact recipe that I use except instead of cottage cheese I use ricotta and I use crushed tomatoes in place of the stewed ones. Everyone asks me for my recipe and I take it to all covered dish dinners, super bowl parties, etc. Always come home with an empty dish.
Nov 22, 2012
This was easy to make and a very large meal! I am going to be eating it for a few days. Next time I would probably cut the stewed tomatoes into smaller pieces, but that is because my husband isn't a big fan of big pieces of tomato.