Company Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour and 10 min.
- 6 slices bread, crusts removed
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 slices process American cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken. In a skillet, saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, place mushrooms over chicken. Combine water chestnuts and mayonnaise; spoon over mushrooms. Top with cheeses. Beat eggs and milk; pour over cheese. Combine soups; spread over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole; bake 10 minutes longer.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 7, 2012
This casserole was easy and excellent. Made it for a family dinner party. Elegant but easy. Liked the refrigerate overnight part. I did add a splash of sherry to the soups.