Coconut Lentils with Rice
Years ago I made this recipe for my kids, and they loved it. One of my daughter's friends would always request this dish when she came over to visit. I recommend basmati rice for this dish. —Diane Donato, Columbus, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute green onions, ginger, garlic and pepper flakes until onions are tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in lentils, turmeric, salt and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, coconut and mint. Serve with rice; top with yogurt.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 374 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Tasty Lentils and Rice in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.