Coconut Lentils with Rice
Years ago I made this recipe for my kids, and they loved it. One of my daughter's friends would always request this dish when she came over to visit. I recommend basmati rice for this dish. —Diane Donato, Columbus, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute green onions, ginger, garlic and pepper flakes until onions are tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in lentils, turmeric, salt and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, coconut and mint. Serve with rice; top with yogurt.