Seasoned Brown Rice Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and onion; saute until rice is lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Add broth; stir in the next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Add orzo. Cook, covered, until orzo is tender, 10-15 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 190 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 10, 2019
I really wanted to like this recipe. I am always looking for new rice recipes. I followed this recipe but it did not cook. it started to stick to the pan bot was hard and crunchy. Couldn't eat it. I may try again and if it cooks I will change my review.