Seasoned Brown Rice Pilaf
For those of us who are white-rice lovers at heart, this recipe makes brown rice taste great! Everyone takes seconds; it is that good. It is so easy to prepare, and easy to convert for vegetarians (just substitute veggie broth). And if there are any leftovers, they're just as good as a second meal the next day. —Amy Berry, Poland, Maine
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add rice and onion; saute until rice is lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Add broth; stir in the next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Add orzo. Cook, covered, until orzo is tender, 10-15 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 190 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Seasoned Brown Rice Pilaf in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.