- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200°. Grease two baking sheets with 1 teaspoon butter; place in oven to warm.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Stir in almonds, cinnamon, salt and remaining butter; cook until thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently and brushing sides of pan as needed.
- Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla. Immediately pour onto prepared pans, spreading to 1/4-in. thickness. Cool completely.
- Break brittle into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Reviews forCinnamon Almond Brittle
"The cinnamon is a great addition to this brittle. I found three cups of almonds was too much. There wasn't enough brittle to go around the nuts. Tried again with 2 cups of almonds and it was perfect. I made this for a bazaar for two years now and I've gotten great reviews."