- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in chocolate mixture. Gradually add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Set aside 1/2 cup marshmallows for glaze. Sprinkle remaining marshmallows over cake. Return to the oven for 2 minutes or until marshmallows are softened.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil; boil for 1-1/2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips and reserved marshmallows until melted. Quickly drizzle over the cake (glaze will harden as it cools). Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Marshmallow Cake
"Insanely Good! I used a yellow Pillsbury cake mix and made into a 13 x 9 for pot luck. My goal was to use up sticky large marshmallows (left over from smores) that were taking up room in the cabinet. I cut them up into pieces and probably used more than the recipe called for. For the frosting, I increased the butter to 4T and used two handfuls of chocolate chips along with a large ball of marshmallows cut up. I dabbed it over the softened marshmallow topped cake and used edge of spatula to spread horizontal lines. I was concerned about cutting the cake after cooled so I cut it after cooling for 15 min. I tried placing on plate, but it didn't look appetizing so I returned it to the 13 x 9 pan. We delivered the cake warm to the pot luck with one row missing. What?? My daughter and I couldn't resist the hot mess of gooey goodness!"
"So good! Turned out well with dairy-free margarine and soy milk."
"Love this cake! It almost tastes like snowballs but without the pink coconut! Yum!"
"the best cake ever! kids can't stop eating..."
"This is a really nice recipe. It's easy to make and has always come out great for me. Makes a great snack and is a hit with people. Definitely worth making."