Chocolate Angel Food Cake with Raspberry Sauce Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- RASPBERRY SAUCE:
- Sugar substitute* equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix and water on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 45 seconds. Add cocoa; beat on high for 15 seconds longer. Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar substitute and cornstarch; add raspberries. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil, about 6 minutes. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until the mixture is thickened. remove saucepan from the heat; cool.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of cake pan; remove cake. Strain the raspberry sauce; spoon over cake sliced. Dollop with whipped topping. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Angel Food Cake with Raspberry Sauce
"This recipe was unavailable to view for a while and after contacting ToH they got it back up for me. I prefer recipes from scratch, but this is quick - why it was first published in quick Cooking. Just in case there are those that have never made an angel food cake before - it is best to have a designated tube pan for only angel food cakes as they will not rise properly if the sides of the pan have any grease/oil/butter. For those that haven't seen it the chocolate angel food cake recipe sent out June 9/2011 under the heading Father's Day Favorites is a good comparison - from scratch - and a number of useful comments are with it now.Regi from north of Huntsville, Ontario, Canada"
"I will definitly make this again. It was simple to make and absolutely delicious It's hard to believe that it's so light."
"Directions are unclear are you supposed to mix up the angel food cake according to the box instructions and then add the cocoa and boiling water? Can someone help?Baker mom"
"Mine fell flat too. I've thought about it and couldn't figure a reason for it. I threw it away because it looked so unappetizing. Does anyone have any suggestions?"
"I am a confirmed chocoholic, but next time I would decrease the amount of cocoa in the recipe. It's really intense chocolate!"
"I added 1/2 cup orange juice to the raspberries and sugar sub, then pureed it all in the blender after cooking it. It was EXCELLENT!"