- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk and 1 cup chocolate chips. Cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in egg, almonds and extract. Spread over crust. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpicks inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining chips; drizzle over top. Cut into bars. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Almond Bars
"Made these for church bake sale. Shortbread crust and almond extract makes this a tasty great."
"This recipe was good. i was worried it would taste too "almondy" but it didn't. it was perfect, all the flavors meshed together well. very yummy!"