- 4 quarts chopped peeled tomatoes (about 24 large)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 4 medium)
- 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2-1/2 cups white vinegar
- In a stock pot, combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, sugar and salt; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Place the pickling spices, celery seed and mustard seed on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag; add to tomato mixture. Cook for 45 minutes or until very thick, stirring frequently.
- Add vinegar; cook to desired thickness. Discard spice bag. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: about 6 pints.
Reviews forChili Sauce
"This recipe is wonderful. My Hubby makes it and WoW!! Thank you for sharing with us .."