VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups pitted fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and salt. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in butter on both sides. Remove from the heat.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, orange juice, onion, orange peel, ginger and cinnamon. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced and sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in cherries.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and cook over low heat for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into the sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings (2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Chicken with Cherry Sauce in Country May 2007, p49