Chicken & Dumplings
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute carrots and celery in oil and butter until tender. Add minced garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add prepared broth. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add peas; return to a boil. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until peas are tender. Stir in chicken and cream; heat through.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and eggs; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Garnish with chives before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (stew with dumplings): 576 calories, 24g fat (9g saturated fat), 189mg cholesterol, 1398mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 44g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 21, 2018
This is just fabulous! The added cayenne give it a nice kick! This is a family favorite.
Sep 19, 2017
I made this for dinner last night and it was a huge hit! The cayenne gave the dumplings a nice kick but to spicy for the kids.
Sep 19, 2017
Simply delicious the spices really make this supreme! Dot
Jul 1, 2016
I made this in the instant pot, put everything in ( I'd frozen some deli chicken pieces) set it for 9 minutes and boy is it good!!!
Mar 1, 2015
The very best recipe for chicken and dumplings! Easy to make! Everyone loves it! Great for company, or for left-overs. Just a perfect comfort food!It's not dull like grandma's chicken and dumplings.
Oct 13, 2012
I've made this a few times now and it's always great - even with a few changes here and there. Some suggestions - if you want more liquid (or just less fat), I use 2 - 12oz cans of fat-free evaporated milk instead of the cream, and it still tastes great.Another option is instead of the dumplings, I make a 6oz box of long grain and wild rice separately - but use about half the flavor packet in the broth (instead of the recommended herbs) and half the packet for the rice. When I'm ready to serve, I mix the rice in and serve with a nice artisan bread.Yet a third option is if you get the BBQ rotisserie chicken - adds some geat flavor.As others have said, I've had to leave out the red pepper from the broth and the dumplings depending on the crowd I'm cooking for.And I agree - the cook/prep times take a while longer than what the recipe says.
Mar 12, 2012
This recipe was a hit! There wasn't enough liquid when it was done so I will definitely double everything except the dumplings next time. The flavors blended together beautifully. The cayenne pepper gave the dish a nice kick, but the whole teaspoon may be too much for some people. Definitely a keeper recipe....can't wait to make it again!
Jan 26, 2012
The prep time should be listed as 45 minutes to an hour and you may need to add more broth. The dumplings were light and I added more chopped carrots for color. It isn't bland like most chicken and dumplings recipes and not as spicy as tortilla soup, so it makes a good recipe for feeding the whole family. If you have leftovers, microwaving the soup doesn't change the texture of the dumplings.
Nov 10, 2011
This is the most flavorful chicken and dumplings I have ever made...and I have tried A LOT! I loved the cayenne pepper in the biscuits. mmmm...mmmm...good!
Nov 9, 2011
Fantastic!! This is the first time I've made chicken & dumplings from scratch and they turned out perfectly with this recipe. My whole family loved them. I'm about to make them again just a week later.