"Folks gobble up these taste-tempting stuffed peppers," relates Gay Nell Nicholas of Henderson, Texas. "They have a crisp golden coating, cheesy center and pleasantly spicy flavor. The best part is that no one realizes they are low in fat, too."
Recommended: Stuffed Burgers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 18 jalapeno peppers (about 3 inches long), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat until blended. Spoon into pepper halves, packing tightly.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg whites and milk. Place cornflakes in another shallow bowl. Dip peppers into egg mixture, then coat with cornflakes. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until browned. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Cheese-Stuffed Jalapenos in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p65