- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons sherry, optional
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute the celery, onion and green pepper until tender.
- Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese, olives, carrots and, if desired, sherry; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Sprinkle servings with parsley and bacon. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forCheese Soup with a Twist
"This needs some tweaking but it is a great soup. I like using heavy cream instead of milk. I leave out the olives and I add in some pimento cheese."
"Substitute the pimento-stuffed olives with black olives and use heavy whipping cream instead of milk and you'll have one butt-kicker of a recipe!"
"Velveta was way to over powering. Olives didn't taste good with the cheese."