Showcase this dessert by serving it in martini glasses. Your taste buds will be delighted with this fabulous treat. There's a delicate crunch from the phyllo, a rich creaminess from the ricotta, subtle wine flavor and a burst of chocolate. This creation is sure to have guests looking for seconds.—Deena Montillo, Framingham, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 bar (3-1/2 ounces) orange-flavored dark chocolate candy bar, grated
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, cream and vanilla; cover and chill until serving.
- Place wine in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup. Set aside to cool.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a baking sheet; brush with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Repeat layers nine times. Cut stack in half lengthwise, then cut widthwise, forming four rectangles.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo on another baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans on wire racks. Crumble baked phyllo sheets into 1/2-in. pieces.
- To serve, layer 1/2 cup crumbled phyllo, scant 1 tablespoon reduced wine, 2 teaspoons grated chocolate and 2/3 cup ricotta mixture in each of six martini glasses. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate and phyllo.
To Make Ahead: Ricotta mixture and crumbled phyllo can be prepared a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate ricotta mixture. Store phyllo in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 515 calories, 26g fat (17g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as "Cannoli Martini" in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011